This is getting real
This week I started putting my Ragnar Chicago team together, this will be my first time captaining a team, and my 3rd year running the Madison to Chicago Ragnar. Even though the race is 8 months away, I am super excited about it. My excitement is also at a high because I got my Ragnar Ambassador gear this week. Can’t wait to wear it at a race, I’m thinking I’ll wear it at the Haunted Hustle Half in a few weeks, I might bring it to Syracuse, NY with me, but if anyone asks me about Ragnar while I’m out there, I won’t have any info for them, maybe I’ll have to add Ragnar Adirondacks to my list for next year!
So far a majority of my team from this year is committed to next year plus a couple new faces, can’t wait to introduce them to the world of Ragnar, it’s like no race I’ve ever run and the memories from the two I have ran will stick with me forever.
This is from one of the Ragnar Ambassadors that I think is great, a 12 person team is a big commitment and as a captain you have to set a few ground rules, this has everything laid out perfectly.
1. Your registration fee is your commitment. If you have not paid the registration fee you are not committed and do not have a slot.
2. You understand that running a 200 mile relay is a TEAM commitment. It is not an individual commitment. There are 11 other people who are counting on your participation physically, mentally and economically. Your non-participation will have a negative impact on all of those aspects of your fellow team mates experience. They may have to run YOUR miles, pick up YOUR shared expense and deal with the mental gymnastics of running with a reduced team.
3. You agree that in the event that you cannot participate, regardless of reason, you will:
A) Not receive a refund of race fees unless a PAID replacement can be found to take your slot. [Sometimes the only way to find a replacement runner for the benefit of the team is to have that runner participate non-paid — in which case you will not be refunded]
B)In the event that your slot cannot be filled, you agree to pay the lesser of the divided group expenses (van/gas/hotels) that you would have otherwise been responsible for or $100.
C) You understand that refunds and reconciliation will occur after the race has concluded.
4. As a participant you agree that:
A) You agree to pay your pro-rata share of team expenses (van/gas/hotels)
B)In the event that another member of the team cannot participate, you agree to pay your pro-rata share of team expenses (van/gas/hotels) (I.e. Total divided by remaining runners) minus any contribution by the non-replaced team member — if it can be collected from them.
5. You agree that your captain is awesome! And is putting in an amazing amount of time and effort to make the race amazing. You acknowledge that your captain is not a bank and that the team as a whole will work together to make sure the captain is not left economically “holding the bag” as a reward for all their hard work.
6. You agree to have a blast!